Travel Series: Post 1- Trip Prep
Hello Friends!
Welcome to the very first travel series post, all about how to prep for your trip!
If you know me in real life (or have followed me for very long) you know I LOVE road trips!
I had a Jeep Commander and drove that adventure tank into the ground. The majority of the miles on him came from the first year after my older daughter, Eva, was born. We traveled to 39 states that first year and then another 4 states after she turned two. She'll be headed to Japan to be with us soon, so I can't wait to road trip with her here on Okinawa as well!
As most of you guys know, especially those of you who budget, planning ahead is key to a successful road trip. Without extensive planning, you run the risk of missing out on places to stop or running out of money along the way. So without further ado, here are my top tips for prepping for a road trip!
1. Establish Your Budget
...and STICK TO IT! Nothing turns a fun trip into a burden faster than going over budget. I like to lay out all the possible costs of the trip and then be pleasantly surprised if I go under budget. Things I budget for include: pre-trip car maintenance, gas, occasional snacks, meals, souvenirs, experiences, tolls, and lodging. I also like to make sure my emergency fund is full just in case I run into any issues.
2. Choose Your Path
Yes, I know this seems obvious. But you guys...so often we are so hyper-focused on the destination that we forget how enjoyable the journey can be!
First, look up your map from Point A to Point B. I ALWAYS use Google Maps for this part because they give several route options and that help me decide which path I want to take. For example: If I Google Maps "Niceville, FL" (where I used to live) to "Washington, DC" (where I love to visit) it gives me the option of either going a route through Atlanta or I could swing towards the East Coast and visit Jacksonville, Savannah, and Charleston along the way without adding TOO many hours to my trip. I used this trip as an example because I've actually done this EXACT route before. I even made the stop at Williamsburg because it wasn't too far off of 95!
I mean how exciting is it to visit so many awesome places on the way to a destination?
3. Plan Your Stay
Searching for lodging is one of my all-time favorite things to do when prepping for a trip! I use AirBnb exclusively, unless its an area that has a nice military hotel. AirBnb is far less expensive than hotel stays (even using points) and usually the hosts offer great amenities and advice about the area. In the dozens of times I've booked an AirBnb I only ever had one "bad" experience, which wasn't even THAT bad because they refunded me immediately.
You can also look into staying with family or friends along your route. One of my favorite things is to spend a night or two with people I love while on a road trip.
That being said, where you decide to stay can absolutely enhance your experience. If I'm renting, I always try to search for lodging that parallels the "theme" of the town. For example, searching for a historic home in Williamsburg, a cabin near Garden of the Gods in Colorado, or a trendy studio in Manhattan.
4. Choose Activities & Dining Experiences
The next thing I like to do is research any FREE activities both on the way and at the destination. There are TONS of free options in every city you visit. Nature can be a big part of the experience especially if you're traveling near mountain ranges or virtually anywhere in the western US! I keep a detailed (printed) list in my travel folder so I know we won't miss anything along the way!
I also pre-choose my dinner restaurants. There are so many incredible places to eat on the road, so I try to avoid fast food if possible. There are exceptions for places that are not local to me such as In-N-Out Burger in California, Braum's in Texas, etc.
5. Update Vehicle Maintenance
A lot of people skip this step and end up regretting it later. Get an oil change. Have your tires balanced and rotated. Check wiper blades and fluid levels. Clean out your car both inside and out. Wash seat and car seat covers. Organize what you keep in your car like tissues, wipes, snacks, etc. Also, check that you have all registration, insurance paperwork, and important numbers on hand. If you break down on the road, this info is so helpful!
Completing these things before your trip will ensure that your car is road worthy and you feel confident in starting your trip!
So that’s all for tonight folks! Thank you guys for sticking with me through this post!





Comments
Post a Comment