Plans vs. Pessimists

"A goal without a plan is just a dream."
-Dave Ramsey

My whole life I've been someone with big, seemingly impossible goals.
I've always known deep down in my soul that I was made for great things and that 
with perseverance, a plan, and God's grace...I could reach
ANY goal I set for myself and my family.

But as everyone knows, the bigger the goal, the more people 
will attempt to place doubt in you and tell you that you CAN'T do it.

We all know people like that. Pessimists. 
People who believe that if they can't accomplish it...no one can.

My first real experience with this was when I was 20 and told my sister in law that
I wanted to go to college without taking out student loans. She had an associates in nursing and I thought she'd be my cheerleader...but I was in for a surprise.
 I will never forget what she said, 
"You shouldn't start something you aren't going to finish."

Her words cut me so deeply. Why would she assume I couldn't finish college?

I'm not even sure she remembers that. 
But it stuck with me through every semester of school. 
It took me 7 years, but I managed to earn 2 bachelors of science degrees with
ZERO debt. I worked 3 jobs at times, countless side hustles, and took 
the semesters off that I couldn't afford in cash until I could build savings and go back.

I didn't let her negativity drown out what I KNEW I could accomplish.

(One of my many jobs during college: home healthcare nurse aide.)


Fast forward to Stacey and my most recent experience with naysayers. First, it was his
family telling us it was impossible to pay off his truck loan in a year. 
We wrote down a plan and saw that it was completely possible. 

Unbeknownst to us when we wrote that plan, it would only take
us 7 months because of our fortuitous move to Japan. We were
able to pay down a large portion of the truck before February, sell it, and then pay off 
the rest of the remaining $9k (roughly).

Then once that was accomplished, we wrote down a plan to save $100,000
in the next 3 years to buy a small home in cash when we return to the States.
AGAIN his family (minus his grandparents) have stated that we can't do it.

It fuels our desire every day when we think about how these people are so negative
about something they could never conceptualize doing themselves. 

It isn't even that they have had a lack of income in their life. Its that they've lacked discipline. 

There is nothing we can do to change the attitude of pessimists.
The only thing we can do is to persevere. Move forward. Continue to dream our big dreams,
plan out our goals, and most importantly...FOLLOW THROUGH. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Plan a $500 D.C. Wedding

Travel Series: Post 1- Trip Prep

Freezer Stock Up: What to Buy & How to Use It